Bach - "coffee" cantata, BWV 211






I - Movement 1 - 4 /II - Movement 5 - 6 /III - Movement 8
Home

Schweigt stille, plaudert nicht, BWV 211

Schweigt stille, plaudert nicht (Be still, stop chattering) (aka The Coffee Cantata) (BWV 211) is a secular cantata written by Johann Sebastian Bach between 1732 and 1734. Although classified as a cantata, it is essentially a miniature comic opera.

In a satirical commentary, the cantata amusingly tells of an addiction to coffee, a pressing social problem in eighteenth century Leipzig, where this work was premiered.

The cantata's libretto (written by Christian Friedrich Henrici) features lines such as "If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat"—a sentiment that would likely have been appreciated by the patrons of Zimmerman's Coffee House in Leipzig, where Bach's Collegium Musicum, founded by Georg Philipp Telemann in 1702, would have originally performed the work.

Bach wrote no operas: the cantata was written for concert performance, but is frequently performed today fully staged with costumes.

Movements

1. Recitativo: Schweigt stille - Narrator

The narrator tells the audience to quiet down and pay attention, before introducing Schlendrian and Lieschen.

2. Aria: Hat man nicht mit seinen Kindern - Schlendrian

Schlendrian sings in disgust of how his daughter refuses to listen to him, even after telling her 1,000 times.

3. Recitativo: Du böses Kind - Schlendrian and Lieschen

Schlendrian asks his daughter again to stop drinking coffee, Lieschen defiantly tells her father to calm down.

4. Aria: Ei! Wie schmeckt der Kaffee süße - Lieschen

Lieschen sings a love song to her coffee

5. Recitativo: Wenn du mir nicht den Kaffee läßt - Schlendrian and Lieschen

Schlendrian starts giving ultimatums to his daughter, threatening to take away her meals, clothes, and other pleasures. Lieschen doesn't seem to care.

6. Aria: Mädchen, die von harten Sinnen - Schlendrian

In this sung monologue, Schlendrian tries to figure out what his daughter's weak spot is, so she absolutely couldn't want to drink coffee again.

7. Recitativo: Nun folge, was dein Vater spricht! - Schlendrian and Lieschen

Schlendrian threatens to prevent his daughter from marrying if she fails to give up coffee, Lieschen has a sudden change of heart.

8. Aria: Heute noch, lieber Vater - Lieschen

Lieschen thanks her father for offering to find her a husband, and vows to give up coffee if she can have a lover instead.

9. Recitativo: Nun geht und sucht der alte Schlendrian - Narrator

The narrator states that while Schlendrian goes out to find a husband for his daughter, Lieschen secretly tells potential suitors that they must let her drink her coffee if they care to marry her.

10. Trio: Die Katze läßt das Mausen nicht - Tutti

All three characters sing the moral of the story, "drinking coffee is natural".

This article is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License. It uses material from the Wikipedia article Schweigt stille, plaudert nicht, BWV 211

Roles - The Narrator - tenor / Schlendrian - baritone / Lieschen, daughter of Schlendrian - soprano

-- Prologue

Be silent, not a word, So every single note is heard; here comes Herr Schlendrian with daughter Liesgen close behind, he's in an rotten state-of-mind let's find out why he's ranting on.

-- Aria

How vexatious are one's children! Little devils hasten death! Yes as sure as she's is my daughter
everything that I have taught her was an utter waste of breath!

-- Recitative

Schlendrian: You wild girl, you evil child! Oh! If I only had my say: All coffee thrown away!

Liesgen: Dear father, don't be such a beast! If I cannot have my Coffee to drink three times a day at least, I will become as a result As burnt out as some roasted goat flesh.

-- Aria

Ah! how coffee tastes delicious sweeter than a thousand kisses smoother than a rarest of wine!
Coffee, coffee, you refresh me, and if one wants to impress me, Ah, just give me coffee, please!

-- Recitative

Schlendrian: If you keep drinking your caffeine I'll ban you from the social scen And you'll never go walking.

Liesgen: That's fine! I only want my drink divine!

Schlendrian: (Now I have her, the little creature!) You will not have a stylish dress with All the latest features.

Liesgen: Then I suppose it must be so.

Schlendrian: You won't stare out the window idly and watch the people come and go!

Liesgen: I must say that I don't care mightily. Just let me have my cup o' Joe!

Schlendrian: You will never again be giv'n a silver or a golden ribbon to weave into your tresses!

Liesgen: Yes, fine! It's coffee that impresses.

Schlendrian: You senseless little minx, you'd really give up all those things?

-- Aria

Women, when their moods are heated, are not easily defeated. But you find her secret yen, And how happily you win.

-- Recitative

Now do as I, your father, think!

Liesgen: I will Sir, in all things but drink.

Schlendrian: Well then! I hope you're quite contented to never wed till you've repented.

Liesgen: Oh yes! Please father, a betrothed!

Schlendrian: I swear now, that it's not in store.

Liesgen: Until I quit this vice you loathe? Right! Coffee, I henceforth disparage! Dear father, please, I won't drink any more.

Schlendrian: Then I'll begin to plan your marriage!

-- Aria

Liesgen: This very day, oh, dear father, right away! Oh, a man! Truly, it would be so grand. If I could but make it so: That instead of a latté before I call it a day I would have a handsome beau.

-- Recitative

Narrator: Now Schlendrian goes off and looks at last, to satisfy his daughter Liesgen he tries to find a husband fast. But Liesgen secretly implies: No man will pass before my eyes unless he's sworn and won't mistake it and signed his name to our marriage contract, that grants me freedom to the act of Coffee when I want to make it.

-- Chorus

As cats will always catch their mice, so ladies drink their grounds and water. If mothers love their coffee breaks, and grandmama also partakes, Who then sees fit to blame the daughters?


Blog Archive